Forget the hot cocoa, this season’s go-to drink will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy…in a different way.
While we’re super excited about the changing weather (YAY, sweaters!) it also brings with it cold and flu symptoms. Yuck. If you catch a bug, don’t waste your time treating yourself traditionally with over the counter remedies- Ditch the medicine and make a Hot Toddy instead!
This soothing drink is nature’s remedy for all the ickiness you’ve been feeling and it tastes delicious. Whiskey, honey, lemon, cinnamon and cloves come together to bring you back to life. Even better? Doctors say DO try this at home.
THE GOOD STUFF: (or, shall we say THE BENEFITS)
– Whiskey: The alcohol kills germs, acts as a decongestant, and will put you right to sleep so you can start feeling better. Plus, who doesn’t like whiskey?!
– Honey: This sweet ingredient will help soothe your throat.
– Lemon: Increasing your Vitamin C intake will help lessen the severity of your symptoms.
– Cinnamon: Known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, the cinnamon sticks add more than just flavor.
– Cloves: This spice has so many healing benefits, like the fact that it’s jam packed with antioxidants.
Give yourself some love and follow the recipe below for the perfect Hot Toddy.
– 2 oz whiskey (or bourbon)
– 4 oz boiling hot water
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 5 whole cloves
– 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon of honey
Combine the whiskey, boiling water, honey, and lemon juice in a mug. Add the cinnamon sticks and cloves and ENJOY!